As we were walking through the mall, past Claire's this afternoon (dog makeup and all), I decided it was probably about time for Ava to get her ears pierced. It's only fair since Morgan got hers done at 6 months. I guess I have been putting it off because I didn't feel as much of a need for Ava. Not many people have asked me what "his" name is or tell me "what a nice looking little boy you have" like people did with Morgan. What is it with people anyway? Morgan could have been wearing PINK everything and they would still ask me what "his" name is. It bothered me as a new mom. Maybe with Ava it just really doesn't matter what people think or say or just doesn't bother me the way it did with my first. It could be first child syndrome vs. second child. Morgan was so spoiled, but also had a completely different personality than Ava does. Is it because I was a CRAZY overbearing new mommy or was it just her? Ava on the other hand is laid back and easy going and doesn't really demand much of any of us. Yeah she still gets attention from all of us, but doesn't have the need for constant attention like Morgan did. Is is because she is the second child and as parents we are more laid back or is it just HER personality? Well because of HER personality I thought that getting her ears pierced would be a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong! I can tell you that if you are thinking of having your child's ears pierced, getting it done at 6 months is a much better idea than waiting until they are a year old! I am pretty sure we had the entire mall standing in front of Claire's watching us! You have to imagine me sitting in the chair holding her, 2 girls standing next to us (one on each side) with the ear gun, Morgan in front trying to distract Ava & an older women (who also works there) jumping up and down, singing patty cake! All this just to get the purple dots on her ears to make sure the earrings go into the right spot!! Now imagine one more time how difficult that was and then the girls trying to pierce both ears at the same time, to save some pain and make it go faster! Not so lucky though. We decided to do one ear at a time instead. For a few short seconds I thought we would have to leave the store with only one ear pierced! And then the lady who had previously been jumping up and down singing patty cake brought out the suckers! Of course I am sure this lady didn't know what a choking hazard suckers could be (due to her age and all), but at that point I really didn't care! The sucker distracted her long enough to get that second ear done so we didn't have to come home with only the right ear pierced. With my luck I would have taken her shopping at WalMart and somebody would walk up to me and ask me what "his" name is and then wonder quietly to themselves why I had pierced my baby boy's right ear!!!! But of course I wouldn't have cared since I am a calm, laid back, second time parent! By the time we got home Ava was a happy little girl with sticky grape sucker from head to toe! And it only took Daddy about 30 seconds to notice the ears. Morgan and I had a bet going. She said it would take only 1 minute. I was thinking it would be maybe a few hours!! Guess he proved me wrong and Morgan won the bet!
Happy Halloween!
7 hours ago



1 comment:
Nikki, this is awsome and I love what you do for us. Thank you for taking time out of your busy life and your own quiet time to see that your family and friends can enjoy your everyday experiences with the girls. You make me feel apart of them even when I am not there. Love you for that, Mom
Post a Comment