Saturday, February 23, 2008

Eat, Sleep, SWIM





Morgan loves to swim! She has been a fish since she was a baby. We have tried a variety of extra-curricular activities with her, but she never really fit in with any of them. She wasn't coordinated enough for gymnastics & didn't really have the patience to wait her turn with a large group of girls. During T-Ball she spent more time playing in the dirt than watching the ball! Swimming lessons were always fun and we always paid the extra money for semi-private lessons. But they only lasted 8 days. It was never long enough and it seemed as if they spent more time playing "Red Rover" in the shallow end than really learning to swim.


Last summer I overheard another mom talking about enrolling her son in the Aquatics Club, so of course I had to apologize for listening in on her conversation and ask her for more information. The next day I was on the phone with the coach wanting to know when and where we could start. It just happened that they were starting a new developmental program for those kids not yet ready to compete. Morgan started in September and has been swimming ever since. She had a short break over Christmas and will have a break in April and May. We are hoping they have a session over the summer. If not I am afraid I will be spending a lot of money taking her to the big pool to swim!


She has gained so many skills since beginning last fall. When she first started she could do the doggy paddle. Now she knows the 4 basic swim strokes for competing, has learned to dive & jumps off the diving board in 12 feet of water and can swim to the side without help. Remember she is only 6 years old! Dana says he couldn't do that until he was 12 or 13 years old!! She must get her swimming skills from MOMMY!!


I saw a T-Shirt at a local swim meet that I thought was appropriate for our family. Unfortunately, they didn't have it in Morgans' size. It read "If swimming was easy they would call it football" I'm sure Dana doesn't agree!!

Getting ready for practice



Backstroke - Probably her best swim stroke so far




Swimming Freestyle - She still has trouble figuring out how to turn to the side to breathe!



Diving in the deep end - not too bad of a dive!



Oh NO! Belly Flop! And.....


SPLASH!


Jumping off the diving board - The Pencil as Morgan calls it


Now isn't this the face of a swimmer?


Did you know that Morgan's name is a Welsh name meaning "sea born"? Appropriate, don't you think?

2 comments:

Susan said...

What a face!! thats my sweatpea!

mdekruif said...

Morgan definitely got her swimming ability from Grandpa! Keep up the great work sweetheart! Next tell Mommy you want scuba gear!!