Wednesday, August 13, 2008

County Fair

Friday was finally dry enough and cool enough to take the girls to the fair. My only regret was that we didn't take them earlier in the week. It would have been a little hotter, but when we got there all the animals were gone and the exhibits were closed. Guess we know better for next year not to wait until the last day. The girls still had fun despite the fact the animals were missing. The animals have always been my favorite part.

I still remember one summer, when I was in elementary school, I went to the fair to hang out with my friends in the pig barn. I wore one of my mom's new scarfs (I guess they were in back then) and it ended up falling in with the pigs and got eaten!! Another summer, I talked a stranger into coming to my house to ask my dad if I could have one of the left over puppies. Guess what? I didn't get one! We use to hang out at the fair all day and all night. Too bad it's really not safe to do that anymore. At least in a town this size. Doesn't really seem like there is much going on during the day anyway. The rides don't even start up until evening. Oh well, the kids don't know any different. We are thinking about having Morgan join 4-H when she is 7. Maybe she will get to experience a side of the fair that she hasn't before if she joins!
Here is Morgan going down the slide - one of my personal favorites!
Ava was too little for rides last year - so this year was a blast for her. She loved riding the "horsie" and cried when it was time to get off.

Who can go to the fair without eating funnel cakes and drinking freshly squeezed lemonade? Another one of my favorites! Ava enjoyed the cars as much as the carousel. She had fun making it beep and pretending to steer the wheel! Morgan and I also went on the Ferris Wheel. I forget from year to year how much I hate that thing! Guess I can't handle heights and spinning as much as I could when I was a kid!

The National Guard had a climbing wall set up that Morgan just had to do. She wasn't able to get very far, but she sure enjoyed trying. I think she had more fun letting go and swinging in the air!!

No comments: