Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer Vacation

I am ready for a vacation from my summer vacation.......Dana thinks it must be time for me to go back to work and the kids to go back to school and daycare. Don't get me wrong, I love being home with the kids, but boy it sure is a lot of work. We make 10x the mess and it seems like there is so much that we need to do to keep the kids happy and entertained. I am pretty sure I could not be a stay at home mom. Today was just one of those days I guess. By supper time everyone was rubbing my every last nerve and I was a little grouchy and had a huge headache. I finally reminded Dana that he doesn't spend as much time with the kids as he should and maybe if he played with them that I could get a short break once in awhile. He then reminded me that even when I am given a break from them I typically don't take it, which is true. I am the mom and it is my job to spend time with my kids. But, I know moms need a break too. In the summer I am required to pay for daycare 2 days a week to hold my spot. Do I use those days? Not always. If I don't have to work the kids are at home with me. There are some moms who choose to take their kids to daycare so they can have "me time", but they do this all the time. What's the point in having kids? I understand taking an occasional day for yourself, but all the time?

I am sure I am going to regret wanting to go back to work, because in a few short weeks it will become reality and then we will be back to full time days of work, school, daycare and me relying on someone else to help take care of and raise my kids. In a way it is kind of sad, but also good to know that we will be back to our old routines. I will miss out on the late nights looking at the stars & chasing fireflies with Morgan or snuggling up to watch a movie with her after Ava goes to bed. I will miss the regular trips to the library, swimming in the pool daily, summer movies and play dates. Of course we can do those things when school starts, just not as often. And, my house won't be as messy as often, there will be less dishes to do, and not as many activities to plan.


Back to school time has always been a favorite time for me. I have always looked forward to shopping for school supplies, buying new clothes, football season and the anticipation of my favorite season, fall. I am looking forward to cooler temperatures, leaves changing colors, pumpkins and crisp cool nights with the windows open. It seems like such a long time away, but on August 4 my vacation ends. The weather will continue to be hot here in Kansas through mid September. And then my favorite season begins. Today, I leave you with a picture I took last night while star gazing with Morgan. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a star. This is what you get when your camera isn't stabilized and you are lying on a trampoline with a 6 year old bouncing next to you :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both Cam and Zoe have spent much of their time at daycare, and often we wish we could have spent more time with them. But one thing I've learned over the years - it isn't simply the amount of time you spend with your kids, it's the time well spent...quality time that they will cherish forever. And I can't tell you how many life lessons they've learned while spending time away from us (daycare especially). I guess what I'm trying to say is this, don't forget to find time for yourself. When you can recharge your own spirit, the time spent with the girls will seem all the sweeter.