Saturday, July 5, 2008

July Fourth Fun!

Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays. We usually celebrate with the traditional BBQ, fireworks and friends. Some years we do more and others not so much. This year was filled with all of the above, despite the fact that our town decided not to participate in a fireworks show due to budget cuts. There were many upset citizens who decided they would create their own show in their yards if the city wasn't going to provide the show, however due to laws prohibiting fireworks within city limits this proved to be a little tricky for some. There were many rumors going around that the police officers were not going to give warnings this year. If you were caught setting off fireworks within city limits you would be ticketed. This did not stop the festivities!

We had a WONDERFUL day. Our day started with friends over for lunch. You can't go wrong with brats on the grill, sweet corn, cucumber salad and a pound cake with berries. We ended our lunch by small talk on the deck, watching Morgan swim in the pool while Ava took a nap.

For the evening festivities we were invited to Lisa's house. Lisa happens to live next door to my friend Angie. It was a block party with about every family in the neighborhood invited. We had food, fireworks, a water slide, drinks & more food & more fireworks! I was expecting to shoot off a few little fireworks and sparklers (with the threat of tickets and all), but I was wrong. They went all out (as they usually do) and had their own little fireworks show for the neighborhood. The kids were entertained for hours, running and playing and sliding! I would have to say out of all of the July 4th festivities, since moving to Kansas, this one was my favorite. It is so nice being surrounded by friends and watching our kids play together.

Here is Morgan enjoying the water slide! I had to practically pull her away from it. All the other kids were done sliding and in dry clothes, eating their supper, and she was still on it. I finally had to tell her they were putting the food away and she needed to eat!

Here is a little preview of the "tablescape". Apparently, wrapped silverware is a tradition at Lisa's get togethers! :-)

Another decoration on the buffet table - a bucket of sparklers!
Kaylen wanted me to take a picture of her hanging upside down!Ava trying to drive away!
Morgan waiting in line for her sparkler to be lit - this one was a dud!
She was not impressed with sparklers at all! She kept yelling, "Put it out!"
Ava enjoying the confetti that dropped on the ground!
Here is Avery (Kaylen's sister) trying to pop the snaps that were dropped on the ground. Beautiful blue smoke! My allergies did not appreciate me at all!
Here is my friend Angie! This is the best picture I can get of her because she is like me, much more comfortable behind the camera!

Morgan loved the parachutes that dropped from the sky!


Ava watching safely by the house.
Avery enjoyed the show too!
Daddy and Ava watching the show! She was so tired, yet wanted to be down running around.



I hope everyone had a wonderful Fourth! As I sit here typing, I am listening to more fireworks being shot off in our neighborhood. I am so happy that the rumors were not completely true about people being ticketed for celebrating our nation's independence. It just wouldn't be the same without the pops, booms and bright lights in the sky. During our festivities, a friendly policeman stopped by and nicely asked us to shut things down. It was close to 10:00 by then anyway and things were winding down. Thanks to the policeman for letting us celebrate our independence and thanks to the friends who hosted this wonderful party! I won't forget it and I am sure my kids won't either!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...sounds like a lot of fun. We didn't do much this year since Anna is still recovering, and Cedar Rapids didn't host the usual Freedom Festival due to the floods. Kind of disappointing, but there's always next year.