Saturday, October 11, 2008

Traditions

Last weekend we made our annual family trip to the apple orchard north of town. We have been visiting The Orchard since Morgan was the age Ava is now. We enjoy driving out to the orchard and picking our own apples off the tree, feeding the fish, and drinking cider slushy. In Kansas, it is usually not cold enough for hot cider!! This weekend was perfect for picking apples. It was a little windy, but not too hot and not too cold!
Here are the girls with Daddy feeding the fish. It is so peaceful out here.
Morgan and Dana - taken in 2004 - feeding the fish
Who knew apple trees were good climbing trees??
Leave it to Morgan to figure it out! Maybe the good
apples are at the top of the tree.
Ava wanted in the tree after seeing Morgan up there!
Sometimes it's hard to get them to sit still long enough to get a good picture! When we arrived at The Orchard they told us to go ahead and pull the apples off and take a taste. So, we did! I'm not sure I have ever eaten an apple fresh off the tree before - but
they weren't too bad!



I think Ava had more fun picking the apples off the ground and putting them in the bucket. It was hard to explain to her that we didn't want the "yucky" ones off the ground!
Morgan in 2003 doing the same exact thing! Picking them off the ground and carrying them around!! Notice the difference in hair length between the girls!! Finally, picking them off the tree!
Morgan 2003
The perfect end to a perfect day. Drinking a cider slush and relaxing.
Morgan - 2003
Morgan and friend Colby - 2003

Morgan and Ava


I love that we have found our own family traditions since moving away from Iowa. I still get sad being so far away from family, but am comforted when I am able to take my girls places that we all love to do year after year. This is the time of year I think more and more about my family with the upcoming holidays. When fall rolls around, Christmas is knocking on my door! I wish we were closer to home, but Kansas is our home now and has been for almost 10 years. We have a family of our own and I look forward to continuing our annual traditions, as well as starting new ones as the girls grow!

No comments: