Sunday, March 2, 2008

Let's get dirty!



Do any of you know those people that can't stand to let their kids get dirty? Maybe you are one of them? Does the idea of dirt under your nails (or your child's) drive you crazy? Do you know those people that tell their kids "don't get dirty" before they go outside? Well......we are not that family! Yes, I have to admit that I have tried to keep my kids clean, but it really isn't worth the hassle. Besides I think the dirtier they get the more fun they have and that is fun for me to watch! And as an Early Childhood teacher I have to consider the benefits and what is being learned during the process of getting dirty.

Today we had the great opportunity to play outside in piles of dirt! Daddy and Uncle Kevin were doing concrete work - fixing the steps and sidewalk. Dirt had to be dug to frame up the sidewalk! It was a warm, windy day - with storms expected. What a perfect day for exploration and discovery & getting dirty!



"I don't want Sundaes, they're too sweet, And Cheetos are too hard to eat! I've had my fill of jello too. But wait, I've tasted something new. Mom says ugh, and makes a face. But outdoors is my favorite place, To try all kinds of dirt-filled treats, Like soil, sand and bugs to eat. Hey, a little dirt never hurt!" Author UnknownMorgan ready for the rain and mixing concrete!


What did we learn today?

1. Digging dirt is fun (sensory exploration & fine motor development)

2. My sister is fun to play with (Social interaction)

3. Worms are slimy & when you break them in half you have 2 worms (math)

4. Grass can be dug up with a shovel (Gross motor development)

5. Concrete is mixed with powder and water (Science)

6. Mommy says "No, don't eat the dirt" (Communication)

6. We are tired and grouchy at the end of a long day (behavior)

What a wonderful day! (Dirt and all!)

No comments: